Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Learn Something New: Car Seats and Coats

I am always surprised that someone allowed me to be a parent.  Sure, I do research and I have an elementary education background, but really, what do I know?

And while I am at it, where did I put that child-raising manual?  
I want a refund!

Anyway, it frightens me to think that although I have been a parent for 7 1/2 years, I can majorly mess up for the majority of those years...just because I was uneducated and inflexible to new ideas.

Let's talk car seats and coats.

All of our little cuties have sat in those super heavy car carriers or five-point harnessed car seats (keep them in as long as you can, people!).  And if you live anywhere that gets mildly chilly, I have a PSA for you...and read it LOUD AND CLEAR.

TAKE THOSE COATS OFF YOUR KID IN THE CAR SEAT.

Before you roll your eyes or pat yourself on the back, humor me and pay attention for a second.  Those carseat straps may feel super tight against the coat-wearing little bodies, but when in an accident, the coat will compress and your little Picky can slide right out of the car seat.  NO joke.  Give yourself four minutes and watch this video:

(please note that this is NOT me, haha)



I found this to be deeply disturbing and shocking. Now, my Pickies all take their coats off and snuggle up with them in their laps while driving. Much more comfy, much more safe.

Please, please, please pass this on!

No comments: