Friday, December 30, 2011

FIVE Things to do for Yourself

As 2011 comes to an end, it is time to take care of ourselves.  I have compiled a list of things you should do for yourself.  It is totally judgmental, superficial and preachy, so beware.  These are all things that I think help mood, perspective, body-images, health, etc.


Things to do for Yourself:
1.  Meal Plan:  As I have said before, meal-planning is a huge lifesaver (and not the candy kind).  When I meal plan, I eat healthier while saving money and time.  I hear so many people say that they don't want to spend 30 minutes planning and making grocery lists for the week, they don't have time.  But how many times do they spend with the pantry door open trying to figure out what to make?  So much easier when you have a notebook and have it all ready.  Now do it.


2.  Drink Water:  Drink.more.water.  And no, pop doesn't count.  I have read varying research in regards to water consumption, but I figure that 64 ounces sounds good PLUS whatever amount of caffeine consumed.  So if I have a big cup of coffee (12 ounces) and a diet coke (12 ounces), I need to consume another 24 ounces of water.  I have been TERRIBLE at this.  I need to once again be inspired by my water bottle.  This is the one I love but I won't take it to the gym because I broke one in the locker room.  My lips are chapped and my skin is dry...I need more water. 


3.  LADIES, this one is for you.  FOR YOU.  OK, maybe for your partner, too, but for YOU.  Buy some pretty lingerie.  It's not all uncomfortable anymore and it doesn't have to be a $52 bra from Victoria's Secret.  Target carries reasonably priced bras and undies that are very pretty.  Moms, this includes you, too.  We all know that when we wear something pretty, we feel pretty.  That includes underwear.  Thank me later.


4.  Accept and Give Apologies Gracefully:  There is no better way than to move on from sad, hurt or angry feelings by fully accepting an apology.  Even if you aren't ready, acknowledge your feelings and those of the other person.  Saying "thank you" to an apology and then letting them know you aren't ready yet is OK.  But don't end it with "you don't seem sorry" or worse off, roll your eyes.  It just makes more toxic feelings.  Same thing with giving apologies.  They don't work if you say, "I'm sorry, BUT...",  That "BUT" negates the entire apology and makes you a butt.  Yes, I just said butt.


5.  Random Acts of Kindness:  As I told the Pickies today, "It feels nice when you act nice".  Buy a stranger a cup of coffee, give compliments freely, show gratitude.  We all know that really great feeling when someone does something so out of the ordinary and it restores our faith in humanity.  You truly can make or break someone's day with your words or actions.


Hope you find something on my list that works for you.  But, puhleeze restrain yourself and do NOT send me pictures of your new undies.  ;)

1 comment:

Carolynne said...

Love this post. I swear by meal planning. I have a white board on my fridge that shows what meals I have planned for that week -- I update it every Sunday night. So much less stress than figuring it out on the fly at the end of the day!

Keep posting, I love you blog. :-)