Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bathe Yourself in Yumminess...and Use Your Extra $$ for Something FUN!

Our skin absorbs EVERY chemical, lotion and solution we put on our bodies which is unfortunate because  I'm a girl who can seriously rock a bath.  I love the hot water, the steam, a good book or magazine and a bathtub with a door....far far away from little knocking hands.  :)  A couple years ago I started creating bath salts to give as gifts and I have had many requests to share my recipes...I'm including some other goodies as well.

Bath Salts
2 parts Epsom Salts 
1 part Baking Soda (I bought an ENORMOUS bag at Costco for $3)
essential oils (some of my favorites are lavender, chamomile, sweet orange, peppermint, cinnamon)

In a bowl, mix salts and baking soda together.  Add 20-30 drops of essential oils and mix with a whisk until the drops are dissolved.  Funnel into a reused glass jar or BPA-free plastic containers.


I am currently getting over shingles which is a grown-up version of chicken pox.  My spots itch terribly and all I wanted to do was take a bath but I didn't have any soothing gels or bubbles.  I knew that oatmeal had soothing properties so I made this concoction.  SO much cheaper than the commercial variety.

Oatmeal Soak
1 cup Oatmeal
Food Processor


Chop oatmeal in food processor until it looks like dust.  Spoon into  a jar and use about 1/3-1/2 cup into the tub.  While water is running, use your hand to stir the bath.





I read this scrub recipe in a magazine and have adapted it since then.  I make this and put it in a BPA-free container.  If you haven't used coconut oil before, it is truly wonderful...it is solid at room temperature but then melts when heated.  I just use a spatula to coax it into a measuring cup.  The oil feels amazing on your skin afterwards...it may feel a bit oily but your skin will quickly absorb it.

Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub
1 part Coconut Oil
1 part Brown Sugar


In a mixing bowl, use a fork to combine the coconut oil and brown sugar until well-combined.  Use in the shower, bath or sink but be careful afterwards...oil gets a bit slippery.  :)


Nowadays I have NO need (or desire) to go to any of those over-priced bath and body stores.  These recipes and a bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap keep my skin soft, smooth and chemical-free.  

1 comment:

Sara Whitten said...

Love this!