Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oh My Kitchen Smells Lovely! (and you won't have an asthma attack walking into it!)

15% of people have asthma CAUSED by their workplace. 

When I started becoming a little more environmentally-conscious, I began looking into making a few of my cleaning products or finding natural alternatives to some of the nasty ones.  After a month of using chemical-free products, I noticed when I went to a friend's house that I developed a TERRIBLE headache and congested lungs as I walked through the kitchen at her home.  She told me she had just cleaned.

We are so accustomed to all the horrible toxins and our bodies are used to them.  That means that our little kids and our pets are breathing them in as well.  As far as I am concerned, it is my job to provide my family with a safe breathing environment as well as a safe place to be, so I started researching cleaning products.  Here is my own recipe for an excellent natural all-purpose cleaner and disinfectant that is as economical as it is functional:

All-Purpose Cleaner
Large spray bottle
Distilled White vinegar ( I buy a 1 1/2 gallon at Costco for $3--lasts me at least two months!)
your favorite essential oils (not fragrance oils, ESSENTIAL OILS)

Fill up the spray bottle 3/4 of the way full with the vinegar.  Fill the rest up with water.  Add 30-40 drops of essential oils to the mixture and after you close it up, shake.  Spray and breathe peacefully.  :)  If your vinegar smells really strong, don't fret because it will fade as soon as it dries...but if you put in enough essential oils, you shouldn't be able to smell it.

White vinegar is a natural disinfectant but if you really want to be a little more comfortable with your disinfecting, add some tea tree oil because that's another natural disinfectant.  This week I added cinnamon essential oil and my house smells like fall!

Now, does this mean that I completely ignore all the bad stuff?  No.  I generally use baking soda to scour and whiten tubs but occasionally Comet may need to be busted out.  That's what I try to do: use the natural stuff as much and as often as I can but resepct the occasional use of chemicals. 

Don't want to make your own products?  I love the Naturally It's Clean products.  Not only are they local to my area, the glass cleaner is EXTRAORDINARY.  No streaks!  I also use the toilet bowl cleaner and the floor cleaner.  They are a bit pricey, but I want my children to breathe safely in my house. 

Comment and let me know what works for you.  Start small and whip up a batch of the All-Purpose Cleaner...that is the stuff you spray everywhere to wipe down counters, walls, toys, etc. 

Together we can make this world a healthy, clean place where all people can breathe peacefully.


Jackie said...

I've been using a mix of vinegar and water for clean my wood floors and really works!

Ayelet said...

I love using baking scours really well and is the best for cleaning stainless steel pots!

There was an error in this gadget