Saturday, April 24, 2010

Quite Possibly the Best Cupcakes EVER!

I am proud to say that I made the most delicious vegan cupcakes yesterday and I even used my mixer!  You know, those really expensive ones that you register for when you are getting married?  I think I have used it four times in the last eight years.  ;)  I will probably be using it more because man, these cupcakes were EXTRAORDINARY.  One of the coolest things was that I found non-bleached eco-friendly paper cups from Whole Foods, too.  Way COOL! 


The recipes are adapted from www.theppk.com but I will type it here for you:


Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
with Peanut Butter Frosting

CUPCAKES:
3/4 cup sugar
5 Tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 banana, mushed well
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup almond milk



FROSTING:
1/3 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 t vanilla
almond milk to cream it all together


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.



Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl, mix well. Add banana, stirring well to combine. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with 1/2 cup almond milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.


Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake for 22 minutes or until cupcakes spring back easily when touched lightly in the center. Allow to cool, and frost if desired.


To make frosting, add peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla to the mixer.  When it is all mixed together, sloooowly poor in almond milk until it turns creamy (I am guessing 1/2 cup-3/4 cup).  If it comes out too thin, it's ok, either add more powdered sugar and peanut butter OR just use it as icing.  :)


This pic may not be the most attractive but they were so DELICIOUS. 


I may have one for breakfast.  :)
 

3 comments:

Vee said...

Mmm....those look yummy!

Heather said...

I think we will have to have cupcakes tonight! :)

Claire Charlton said...

Heavenly! :-)